The pandemic has thrown you a number of obstacles.
Moving less during lockdowns or due to ill health is unfortunately a large part of your COVID-19 experience.
Less movement creates a huge problem for your health moving forward. For us and our loved ones, the best way to optimize your COVID-19 recovery is to keep moving!
Benefits of moving regularly are well known, but here are some good reminders:
Regular movement makes you energized
- Exercise is an important part of being healthy, with or without infection. You can overcome lethargy, pain, stiffness and a loss of strength.
Regular movement helps you to be motivated
- Exercise helps increase motivation to do all the things you love – catching up with loved ones, completing daily chores, work, study, and caring for yourself
- The better you feel, the more motivated you become to keep it going, so it becomes part of your life!
You gain confidence
- To reconnect with all the things that make you special. Your unique talents and personality shine through when you’re fitter, stronger and healthier
- In your ability to achieve life goals – celebrate your achievements, no matter how big or small.
You feel less pain, doubt and fear
- You learn to understand pain, listen to your body and deal proactively with pain
- Becoming healthier and experiencing the joy of movement gives pain less of a role to play in your life.
How do I get moving again?
- Start slowly. Your body has been through a lot and is still in recovery mode
- Gentle walking and resistance exercises are a good way to help restore daily function
- Breathing exercises play a role in recovering from COVID-19
- Aim to exercise in environments that are well ventilated and where you can practice social distancing.
Will exercise make me more tired?
- Initially you will feel a bit fatigued but over the next few bouts of exercise you will begin to tolerate movement a little more
- You should aim to gradually increase the amount you do.
Compared to our friends in other countries, there’s been much less COVID-19 around us prior to 2022.
Our colleagues in the UK have been forced to develop great resources to help thousands of people get moving again after their COVID-19 infections.
With so much practice, they’ve gotten pretty good at it too! Here’s the best movement advice from the UK.
When you’re ready to move again, your Pascoe Vale exercise experts will help you feel safe and energized through your COVID-19 recovery journey.
Book online or call us on 9304 0500 for your session.
Note: This information is of a general nature only and should not be substituted for medical advice. It does not replace consultations with qualified healthcare professionals to meet your individual medical needs. Last updated 27 January 2021.